"Chocolate Loves Strawberry" Cupcakes
It doesn't need to be Valentine's Day to enjoy chocolate covered strawberries.
In our case, we had a fresh batch of vegan Strawberry Mellos lying around and thought they would be stupendous in some gluten-free chocolate cupcakes.
And we were right!
Step 1: The Cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk 1 cup of non-dairy milk and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix 1 1/4 cups of gluten-free flour, 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk 1/3 cup of oil and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract with the milk-vinegar mixture.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry and mix until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds full.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 18-20 minutes.
- When done, let cool for a few minutes.
Step 2: The Mello
- Use a cupcake corer to gently remove the center of each cupcake and place 1 Strawberry Mello in the hole.
- Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Step 3: The Frosting
- Use a mixer to beat 1 cup of non-dairy butter until smooth. This is easiest to do at room temp.
- Pour in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, then mix in 3 cups of powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time.
- Blend in 2-3 tablespoons of unsweetened non-dairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until light and fluffy. If the frosting seems too thick, add more non-dairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. If too thin, add more powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- And our favorite part...frost the cupcakes!
Makes 12 cupcakes.